Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Be Inspired

This week on the Hero Arts blog they are featuring the Win-A-Day artists. Monday featured Lucy along with Hero design team member Jennifer Mcguire. They had some really inspiring cards that they collaborated on. The bright bold colors they used on kraft paper caught my eye immediately and the challenge this week is to create cards inspired by the artists featured this week.

This was my first attempt. I stamped the tree background stamp with versamark ink and embossed with clear detail embossing powder. Stamped the butterfly and bird images with black ink, cut out and then placed them in the tree. Stamped the little white flower with color box white and embossed with white detail embossing powder. added a few gemstones as accents.
The fence is a border punch that I layered behind a stip of green Bo Bunny pp. Punched out some flowers in the same colors of the birds and butterflies hoping to give the effect that the tree is in a beautiful little garden.
I liked the colors but didn't feel like I had captured the look that Jennifer and Lucy are so wonderful at so I decided to give it another try.



Tried to keep this one a little cleaner looking. It is always hard for me to know when to stop.
Limited the colors used to the pink, green and blue. The bold flourish is stamped and embossed using versamark and clear embossing powder.
Used a spellbinders nestability to cut out the scalloped kraft design and stamped with dots and flowers background stamp and embossed. The edge blended into the background until I edged it with a versamark pen and embossed. The pink flower and leaves were stamped and embossed using versamark. When I stamped the butterfly I used white ink and clear embossing powder. I am not sure if the difference shows up in the photo. The small flowers were made by stamping the large flower from the Share Laughter clear set and punching our the center of them.
I hope I got a little closer to their cards with my second try. :) I think that is what the challenges are all about. Pushing yourself out of your usual comfort zone, and it might take a while to achieve the look you are aiming for, but isn't it fun trying? Sometimes along the way you surprise yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Debbie! Lovely cards! I like the tone-on-tone with the kraft. It makes the white flowers and fence in the first card really pop. Fabulous details on both cards! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely designs!
    You succeed with the bright colors and the kraft paper!!
    Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bright, cheerful, warm, and just down right gorgeous!!

    Darn! I forgot that really pretty card on top too! That fence, the butterflies, etc. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!