Friday, July 17, 2009
Bleached Asian Frames
The Hero Arts challenge for the week
is to make a card that is inspired by
something on their new website. In the technique's section there is a great post by Leslie Lightfoot about stamping with different mediums such as acrylic paints or bleach. I chose to use bleach because I think it creates a very soft look especially when used on lighter colors of card stock. I picked a light blue and aqua card stock to use.
First I folded a couple of layers of paper towel and placed it on an old lid from a plastic container and poured a little household bleach over it. Just enough to saturate the paper towels.
I used the HA dandelion stamp and stamped the image using the bleach on the aqua paper. The stamp image is pretty detailed and the images were not very crisp but I thought that just added to the look.
Next I used the Asian Frames clear stamp set and stamped images from that using white pigment ink and clear embossing powder. Then I used my aqua painter to pick up some bleach and apply that to sections of the stamped, embossed images.
Using a Spellbinders die I cut out the label in off white card stock and then layered 2 dies to cut out the frame in the light blue card stock. On the blue frame I stamped portions of the bamboo stamp, again in white ink and embossed in clear.
The left hand side of the card was made by cutting a strip of off white card stock and rounding the top corners. Then I cut a slightly smaller piece of the aqua card stock, rounded the top corners and then embossed it in my cuttle bug using an embossing folder then highlighted some areas with bleach. The circle flowers on the top layer were made by stamping and embossing, highlighting areas with bleach and then cutting them out.
The butterflies were made by stamping the heart winged butterfly with bleach, allowing to dry, covered the entire butterfly with versamark ink and embossing using clear powder. Then punching out shapes with a MS butterfly punch.
The sentiment was stamped on a strip of off white cardstock, then layered on a strip of blue, rounding the corners.
The final touch was adding pearls for accents.