Monday, April 5, 2010

Butterflies and Dandelions


This is the finished project, and it is not at all how I envisioned it when I started out. I did intend to use this Dandelion Frame stamp from Hero Arts but the first time I stamped it was on blue mulberry paper with green pigment ink and embossed with clear detail powder.
This was really pretty.........but I stamped a image in the center that just didn't work. Don't you just hate it when that happens. I had stamped the image in different color inks on the rest of the blue mulberry paper so by the time I knew it was a mistake there was no blue mulberry paper left to start over with the dandelion frame :(. Back to the paper drawer. I did find this kraft colored paper that I chose to start again with.
Embossed the image again with the green ink.  Added color around the edges using copic markers. The dandelions blended into the background after coloring so I used another HA dandelion stamp to stamp over them in white and emboss with white detail powder.  So far so good. Then I embossed the edges, using a versamark marker and white embossing powder.

I cut it out with deckled scissors.............and I didn't like it. So trimmed the embossed edge off. The butterflies are from the HA clear set "Antique Engravings". I wanted to use a mulberry paper so I took a white mulberry paper and colored it with the same copic markers used on the main image. Then stamped the butterflies in white and embossed in white. Added more color to areas of the butterflies using the copic markers. cut out and applied to frame. The small butterflies were made by punching out the colored white mulberry paper with Martha Stewart punches. Learned the lesson that punching mulberry paper can be quite challenging.
Stamped the sentiment and cut out using a nestability. Applied distress ink around the edge and finished by using distress crackle paint. It is beautiful here today, sunny and in the 80's so the tag and I went outside to speed the drying time. Went very fast in the heat from the sun.
Cut a piece of blue-green card stock and made the border at the bottom using a SU border punch. Added a clear ribbon at the bottom and placed on a 5 x 7 white card.



These are the copic colors used in the project. Turned out very different from what I originally planned but I do like this combination of colors.

Hope you are enjoying every moment of your day!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Debbie and thanks for explaining the process!

    Heather Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing look Debbie! Great colors and thanks for the details on how you made it! So happy I found your blog thru flickr...I'll be following you here too! I pretty much do blogs first then flickr if I have time.

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!