Saturday, June 5, 2010

Oceans of Joyful Memories


On the Hero Club Blog on Monday Shari Carroll provided us with some great sketches that can be seen here. Used the sketch and the new clear set Sea Life to make this card. The sentiment is the only stamp that is from a different set and it is from Oceans of Joy from the 2010 catalog.
The center image was created by using the scalloped circle, inked with versamark frost and then tumbled glass distress ink and embossed with clear embossing powder. Inked the seahorse stamp with versamark frost, memento desert sand dye ink, stamped and embossed with clear powder.
The images above and below were created by inking the stamp with versamark ink, tumbled glass, and desert sand ink, stamping and then embossing.
Stamped and cut out the starfish and added to center image.
Stamped the sentiment with white pigment ink and embossed with white powder.

I grew up around the sound and the ocean on the coast of North Carolina. My grandparents lived on the sound, a very simple life. They were not wealthy and my grandfather made his living in the sound. He had small boats that he rented out but made his living fishing, shrimping, and oystering. Some of the happiest moments of my childhood were spent there with them in their small home.
Seems like there were always plenty of us cousins around and we spent lots of time in the sound swimming and playing in the boats. It was always fun to see what our granddaddy brought up in the nets when he was shrimping, starfish, sea horses, shells, puffing fish, plenty of treasures.
My grandmother didn't have running water in the house, there was a pump in the kitchen sink that had to be primed before using, but she made wonderful meals, three times a day. The table was always full of vegetables from the garden and wonderful seafood that my grandfather caught. After each meal a tablecloth was thrown over the food left on the table and at the next meal a couple of new dishes were added. They didn't have air conditioning but the food didn't spoil.
When I spent the night at their house I slept with my grandmother. They had two wonderful feather beds that you could just sink into and they were warm and comfortable even though the room didn't have heat.
I think I was about 12 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer and they left the sound to move nearer to our family.
 I guess as I was making this card I was thinking about why the ocean makes me feel so peaceful and I guess that is where all this came from. The ocean and the sound evoke wonderful memories of them and what life was like in a different time.
 Thanks for visiting and sharing a memory.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! And what a wonderful childhood you had, too. It sounds absolutely perfect. Your card is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What special memories to cherish. Beautiful card love the design and the colors, really reminds me of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love the embossing you did, it gives it the perfect amount of glossy shine! Beautiful set of stamps you used!

    What a great story you shared, so special, love hearing how happy childhood memories really stick with us throughout our life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy colors and FANTASTIC design!!!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!