Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thinking of Charleston


Historic Charleston, South Carolina is a beautiful place. Colorful houses, luscious gardens, shopping, dining, a fun place to go. When I saw these new Hero stamps I thought immediately of Charleston. They have one street in particular called Rainbow Row, where all the houses are painted in beautiful colors and that is what I had in mind when I made this card.
Took a little liberty with the fence because most of the fences there are black wrought iron but I wanted a white picket fence for my homes.
The houses were created by stamping and embossing them on watercolor paper and coloring with copic markers, and then cut them out.
The card base is also watercolor paper and the background was created by spritzing the card with water and inking the cloud stamp with distress ink, spritzing the inked stamp and stamping. Dry using heat tool.
The bottom was created in the same way using the Earth flowers stamp. Also used the top edges of the Garden Bouquet stamp to add to the background.
Punched the fence using a Martha Stewart punch and cut and stamped another strip of the watercolor paper to add to the bottom of the fence.
The flower pots are watercolor paper colored with copics and cut in the shape of a pot. Colored strips of paper green for the stems. Punched the flowers and colored with copics.
Two of the houses are mounted flat to the page but the center one has foam tape behind it for dimension.
I wanted the fence to appear curved so I mounted it flat at the sides of the card and then used one layer of foam tape next to that and then a double layer in the middle. The photo doesn't show as much curve as you can see on the actual card.
Charleston is about 4 hours to the south of us and like the rest of the south, I bet is very hot there today. So my little row of houses is as close as I will get for a while.
Hope you are staying cool!!
And Thanks so much for coming by, I appreciate your visits.
:)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Debbie, I almost got this set but then decided not to - now you're changing my mind! Love the quaintness of this little neighborhood! The soft colors really gives it lots of charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, This card is fantastic and I love all the attention to detail. You are so very creative and you did a great job. I'm from Alabama and we are having very high temps here also. So, been staying inside to keep cool. Take care and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie your card is so adorable. I love the way you colored the houses and all the cute details. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is beautiful - I love the colors on the houses and the way you put that cute little fence on it. Charleston is wonderful, especially in cooler weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I love your little low of houses, Debbie....such pretty colors and I LOVE the clouds!!! I have never been to Charlston...maybe some day!!! Besides, it can't be any hotter than here...we hover in the high 90's every day now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable, Debbie! I love the row of colourful house and the very effective techniques you used on the sky and grass! Cute picket fence and flowers too!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!