Monday, June 21, 2010

Watercolors for Dummies


Watercolors appeal to me. Unfortunately I can't draw a straight line and my painting leaves a lot to be desired. But thanks to stamps I can give the technique a try. This way is sooo easy it is almost fool proof. Almost fool proof because I have managed to muddy my colors occasionally.

Stamped and embossed the stencil flower on watercolor paper. Using a mist sprayer, wet the paper.
I used dye ink pads and dabbed the colors onto an acrylic block.
Using a water brush pen I picked up some of the color and applied to the flower. Use less water for more intense color and more water for lighter areas. Just keep playing with it until you get the look you want.
For the center of the flower I applied color directly from the marker.
The  background was created by by spraying the watercolor paper with water.
Inked the large canvas stripe stamp with dye ink and sprayed the stamp with more water. Because I knew I wanted a very soft effect I gently wiped the stamp with a cloth to remove some of the ink and water.
Then stamped on the wet paper. A couple of the edges were a little darker and crisper than I wanted so I used the watercolor brush to apply water and soften them.
Cut a strip of white card stock and punched both sides using the Martha Stewart double loop punch.
Cut a smaller strip of the watercolor paper and punched both sides using an EK success punch.
Punched and colored the butterflies and positioned on layered stripes.

It is going to be very hot here this week, mid 90s, and the humidity is terrible. So to combat the heat, the plan is to stay in and create............except for work, except for errands.....
Hope you are staying cool and have lots of creative time!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is gorgeous! No muddied up colors here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! May have to try playing around with watercoloring, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie this turned out amazing! I LOVE all the little water techniques you've used! Such a gorgeous effect! Your layered punched strips are beautiful with the added butterflies and what a stunning flower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word...this is absolutely gorgeous, Debbie!!!! Your flower is watercolored beautifully and I love how you created the background!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie! I'm catching up on all of your wonderful cards that I've missed, all of them so beautiful...I love this one so soft and gentle, makes me want a summer dress in this color! Love that effect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty, Debbie!
    The watercoloring looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration - I might have to try this since I just bought a bunch of watercolors and paper but I totally suck at drawing ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My, oh my, I love this soft, elegant card! So stunning! And the little butterflies look so cool, too! WOW- thanks for sharing and congrats on the HA tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously gorgeous! Your watercolor technique turned out perfectly, wonderful choice of stamped images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this looks fun, and the results are gorgeous, Debbie!! Thanks so much for telling us how you did this!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!