Saturday, November 6, 2010

My thoughts on Hunting Season

Let me start by saying this is not my usual post and if you enjoy hunting you might want to stop reading now!

I love nature! And I love animals. The deer in the field behind our house are gentle creatures and I love watching them. Which brings me to hunting season.  My definition of hunting season is
"Men trying to prove their manliness by murdering poor defenseless animals with high powered rifles." It has nothing to do with feeding their families....by the time you pay for guns and bullets and all the necessary gear, you can buy a lot of beef!

And today to top it all off my neighbors have decided to take it even further by gutting their "proofs of manliness" in the yard next door. So in order not to see this treat I am forced to stay in my house with the windows drawn.
We live in a development wouldn't you think this would not be the norm? I know we live in the south, redneck country, but give me a break! And I am pretty sure they all know I feel about hunting so I guess this is just a slap in the face.

When they deer come into the field and they see us they just stand around and look to see what we are doing. How much sport can there be in killing them? So if you think that murdering them makes you a big man in anyones eyes, guess again. And oh, by the way drag your children out there as soon as they can tote a gun and have a picture put in the local newspaper. You are passing along wonderful lessons to them too.

Sorry, if I have offended you in anyway. I needed to vent. I have been sick all week and this morning my blood pressure is probably not in a very healthy range. I had to get this out or explode.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, hun! You vent away. I think I'd be equally as angry as you if my neighbours were doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you all the way! Some say if they didn't hunt them, we'd be overrun with deer, but I don't care. They are beautiful, gentle animals and it would make me just as crazy to live next to some redneck deer murderer. I really do not understand that sort of mentality at all. It's not just in the South, either, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of hunting, either...such a brutal thing to do just for sport!!! Our poor horses get really nervous and skiddish during hunting season. I worry about their safety because the neighbors grandkids ride around on 4 wheelers with their rifles...yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tell them Debbie! And good for you for venting on your blog, you should always be able to say what you want and express your thoughts! I'm not a fan of hunting or really know anyone who does - I know it is an actual 'sport' for some folks in the U.S. and in other countries as well. Hope you will get some rest soon and get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Debbie! Oh, you've been sick? Hope you are getting better today! I also think that's an actual sports and I totally agree with your thought.
    (Thanks Debbie for your kind comment on mine the other day! Love your lovely works! :) )
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!