Friday, March 25, 2011

Necessity the Mother of Invention


I stamped this flower from MAGENTA with dark brown ink on white card stock and colored with copic markers.

It looked a little flat to me so I cleaned the stamp and inked it up again with Versamark frost ink, stamped over the first image and embossed with clear embossing powder. I hope you can see in the next picture that it gave it some sheen and dimension to the outline of the flower and leaves.

Now is where the necessity and invention part come in. I cut the flower out using the Silhouette SD...this time I messed up! There was a tear at the top of the paper and it ended up inside the scalloped oval shape. Had to get rid of the top of the scalloped oval so I cut off the top of the oval in a straight line. Cut out the two oval shapes again in white card stock. I stamped the scallop oval border with the envelope pattern stamp from HERO ARTS. Then I came up with the idea to make this a pocket card. I backed the lower part of the image with dimensional foam tape. Stamped a sentiment on the top portion of a smaller scalloped oval and cut the bottom portion so that it would fit in the larger scallop. Stamped a portion of the envelope pattern stamp on the bottom. Stamped a flower from the Magenta stamp, cut it out and added it to the tag. And this is how it looks when you pull the top out.


How about you? When you mess up, do you just toss it or do you try to find a way to fix it?

Off to spend the weekend with friends at the beach. Our weather has been delightful lately, highs in the 70s and 80s.....this weekend highs in the 50s and rain. Doesn't it figure? Hope your weather cooperates with your weekend plans.
 Debbie

4 comments:

  1. What a nice little peek into how you salvaged this beautiful flower image! Love your clever thinking, Debbie! If I don't like a card too much, then most likely, I will just discard it. But if I'm working with a large image or a flower that took a long time to color, then, YES, I'll try to save it by carefully lifting the glue off or cutting around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a mistake, but a happy accident. I love what you did with it, and I usually throw my mistakes away. But if I had already colored the image and embossed it I might have tried to save it. I would not have thought of doing that, though - very clever of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've salvaged many an image when I've torn it or the paper, or a poor image on just one portion of it. Some of my favorites have occurred that way. This is very clever - wonderful save!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I love this craft so much...even if I goof up on something (which is quite often!!), I can always cover it up with something else!!! This is a fabulous save, Debbie...your pocket design is sooo gorgeous!!! Who woulda known that you didn't plan it that way!!!!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!