Saturday, June 11, 2011

Silhouette "Cut" to "Print and Cut"

If you have visited lately you know that I am infatuated with my Silhouette SD. Jackie from "Just Stamp It" ask me if there was a way you could change a Silhouette cut design into a print and cut. Couldn't wait to play around and see if I could figure it out and so I decided to post a little tutorial about how I did it.


This is the cut image as it appears when downloaded from the Silhouette online store.


This is the finished product.
To start I opened the image and clicked on the ungroup setting so that I could color the sections differently. Below is how that looks on the screen when it is "ungrouped."


Once ungrouped you can just click over on the side and all of those little boxes highlighting each individual section go away and this is what you have


I have started highlighting each individual section and selecting a color from the "Fill" section.

This is a shot of the line color screen and I have changed the lines to black.


This is what I learned and it is very important. I went to the line style window increased the thickness of the lines and clicked on the section to "bring the line forward". Before when I have tried to print I didn't use this feature and the lines never showed in the printed version. So you got the colors and the shape but it was flat looking and no definition to each individual section. So Thank you, Jackie! If you hadn't sent me that question I don't know how long it would have been until I figured this out.

When your image is all colored and printed and you send it to the Silhouette to cut it shows up like this. You have to go the the "cut type" and select cut edge only.


And this is how it looks when it is ready for the Silhouette to cut it out.
If you are interested in learning more about the Silhouette and would like to see more tutorials you can find some from the experts at the Silhouette Blog. And another look at the finished design all printed and cut.

Oh, there are so many ideas running around in my head, right now LOL! Maybe there is too much empty space there. You could use this technique to make one layer cards that wouldn't look one layer at all. Hope you  are inspired to give this a try. And, Jackie I hope I have answered your question.

Have a great day everyone and thanks for stopping by!
Debbie

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, forgot to add that I also changed the shape from a circle to an oval :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie, that was wonderful! Apparently you do have to be able to ungroup the shape to cut just the edge or else I am doing something wrong because it wouldn't cut just the outside edge of my shape. It cut all of the lines, even thought Cut Edge was selected. I will play some more and see what happens - I will try another shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love seeing what you 'learn' each and every day with the Silhouette, so fascinating, such pretty colors on the oval shape!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!