Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sending Cards a New Year's Resolution

Good Morning,

It's that time of year, reflecting on what happened this last year and how to improve things in the coming year. One of the things I want to improve on is getting the cards I make into the mail. My craft room is full of cards that I have made over the years and that makes me a little sad. Why didn't they make it into the mail? some of them were made for challenges, some were made because I got a new stamp and wanted to try it out, and some because I was trying a new technique.

It seems when birthday time rolls around I want to make a card specifically for that person and it doesn't feel right to choose a card I've already made. Do you feel that way? I want to make it special for that person and by the time I get around to doing that their birthday has come and gone, no card in the mail… So one of my New Year's resolutions is to do better. I want to get those cards made in a timely manner so that they are in the mail and received on that special day.

I think the first thing I need to do is find a way to alert myself to upcoming birthdays. I used to remember everybody's birthday but not so much anymore. Do you have a system for keeping up with birthdays? If you have something that works well I'd love for you to share it with me. Do you know of a computer program that gives alerts in advance?

I think the second thing I need to work on is not trying to make it the most wonderful card they have ever received! LOL! I want to make it special but if I try so hard to make it special that it never gets in the mail, that doesn't accomplish anything.They don't even know I've been thinking about them because their card is in pieces on my craft table. So now they think I've totally forgotten their birthday which isn't the case at all.

January has quite a few birthdays so if you have any ideas that would help me I would appreciate them.

How do you feel about resolutions? Do you make them? Do you keep them? Do you have something special you're going to work on in the upcoming year?

I'm going to spend the day making a list of other things I would like to improve on this year and share some of those with you tomorrow. Hopefully, I will also have a January birthday card to share.

Thanks for stopping by today, your visits are always appreciated.

Debbie

7 comments:

  1. I think we could all be better at sending out more cards, Debbie - great resolution! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, Debbie. I make cards and never send them, too, but not as many as I used to. I do still get bogged down trying to make a card the best one they have ever seen, and then having to top that next time. It's madness. As for getting alerted to birthdays, I do use my computer. Outlook has a calendar that will remind you, Google also has one and it's free. I use Thunderbird for email and it has a calendar as well - Lightning. If it weren't for my reminders, I wouldn't get anything done. If you have a smart phone, it should have a reminder function as well. I set mine to a week before their birthday so it gives me a little time to procrastinate.

    I do make resolutions but rarely keep them, unfortunately. This year I think I will set more realistic goals, maybe that will help.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a way to be reminded! Microsoft Outlook, the email program, has a built in calendar that will keep track of all your events, from appointments to birthdays and holidays! You can set a reminder for any time at all, and it will send you an audible alarm and pop up that important date. My gmail account is imported automatically into it so I don't have my mail left on a server. It comes to my computer, where I want it to be. Outlook keeps all my contacts organized, too, and I can separate mail into various folders easily. There is also a "Tasks" list of things I need to attend to. Outlook. It's a wonderful birthday and holiday reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie,
    I love your ideas and different ways of using designs.
    I have a couple of tins of made up of all sorts of cards using different techniques or colours I have been interested in at the time. Then when birthdays are coming up I have fun looking through to see which one would suit the person. Then I always have one ready - otherwise like you, would never have it done on time. I use my email calendar to alert me to birthdays or special events - even bill payments. Some are also, on my mobile phone and it sends me an alert.
    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, thank you for your very nice comment of Jill's blog regarding my card yesterday....I always appreciate the time it takes to comment! Secondly, I am right there with you with regards to making the "perfect" card! I tend to do that too and want to get more of my cards into the mail. I also, without realizing it until you just pointed it out, that I tend not to send a card that is already made for someone when their birthday/annicversary/sympathy rolls around...my resolution is to make more cards this year so that I do have quality ones to pick from and to use when the occasion comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie, Thank you again for your nice comment! Here is a link to the stamp that you asked about. In the "instructions" tab of this website they have a very cool how to technique for coloring this with chalks. I originally bought the stamp at I love Momentos.
    http://www.outlinesrubberstamp.com/ecom/prodDetail.cfm?prod=2440&catID=322&mcatID=321&pageNum=1

    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree 100% with you!

    Here is my plan -- I am going to spend some time this weekend addressing envelopes, including the postage stamp! It will be so much easier to mail things with my stack of envelopes done in advance.

    ReplyDelete

So happy you stopped by and thanks for sharing your thoughts!